Monday 8 September 2008

• You Can't Do That

Posted by speedygeoff on Monday, September 08, 2008 with
You can run faster.
You can run further.
But stopping others from running even faster and further than you?
You can't do that.
Some of the saddest people I know, always get disappointed when they are "beaten"!
Learn to monitor your improvement in a way which does not involve comparing yourself with someone else.
And if you encourage others to out-perform you, and they do, count that as a success too!

Speedygeese at yesterday's High Noon Meet.
800m Joel 2:12.31
800m Ewen 2:48.55
800m Thea 2:53.47
3000m me 11:28.45 (splits 3:36, 3:59, 3:53)
3000m Thea 12:50.93 *pb
3000m Yelena 15:53.24
Conditions – strong headwind back straight, very small 3k field meant running solo!

My training progress
last week’s target: 90k
achieved: 50k
year 2008 total to date: 2930k in 36 weeks
this week's target: 90k
weight: 64kg ▲

That was a relatively slack week. But I did run a pb in the BBQ Stakes, and I did OK in the 3000m. I expected to misjudge pace, and I did. So that's a success! It will take the whole of the upcoming track season to relearn pace, so I think I will focus on the 3000m for that purpose, with the occasional 5000m. And once pace is relearned, both BBQ and 3000m times can improve a lot more.

Why did I expect to misjudge pace I hear you ask? Because it is the first time this year I have intentionally cut down a week's distance; and it is only recently that I have added some upper body work to my gym training. Hence the need for my body to "re-learn".

This week I will do BBQ Stakes again on Wednesday and the Canberra Times 10k Fun Run on Sunday.



Grand fathers day


All the children connected with me for fathers day yesterday, two by phone, one by facebook. Here's a happy snap of three of the grandchildren. They enjoyed a quiet and happy fathers day too.