Wednesday 20 December 2006

Running Start

Posted by speedygeoff on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 with
"A coach can be like an oasis in the desert of a runner's lost enthusiasm." - Ken Doherty

The major races of 2007
Having decided how I am going to maintain or (hopefully) improve my fitness, the next task is to decide what events I am going to target.

Track season 06/07 - play it by ear, run some short races, try and peak for the 5km ACT Vets championships at the beginning of March. I cannot get to Hobart for the nationals, so I will make the 5k here my main goal.

Winter 07 - I am thinking of running the Canberra Marathon; I will certainly enter it; an entry form is in the mail. Will I try for around 3.30? Whatever, I will have a go at several half marathons again: I can make Weston Creek in March, Canberra in May, Doomben in June, and the Vets in August. I cannot get to Gold Coast in July, so I will target Doomben as a potential M55 pb.

Masters Games - this is the big one, the Australasian Masters Games in Adelaide in October. A fast 5km on the track; and a fast half marathon at the end. So after I run Doomben, I will get into serious 5k training.

Track season 07/08 - if I can come through all that unscathed, perhaps I can run some 800m races next season? Dream on.

How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb?

10. Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.












FOOTNOTES

1. You can register an “expression of interest” for the Australasian Masters Games, in Adelaide in October 2007,at http://www.australianmastersgames.com.

2. Congratulations to Peter and Maria's daughter Juanita McDonald, there was an article about her hockey successes in yesterday's Canberra Times.

3. BBQ Stakes is on today I assume. It's cooler; I will see what I can do! Then it's off to the airport to collect speedygreatgrandmother, who arrives today for two weeks holiday!