Sunday 30 September 2007

Why I'm late for training

Posted by Ewen on Sunday, September 30, 2007 with
I'm not talking about Speedygeese training - I usually on arrive on Monday afternoons with a few minutes to spare. I'm talking about the training I do on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Calwell. If I arrive 5 minutes late, I get to warm-up by myself, or maybe with Karen, who is equally happy jogging slowly.

If I arrive on time, I might have to warm-up with Kathy (pictured here) and the speedy teenagers. This is sometimes stressful, as Kathy only knows one way to run - fast. I mean, she ran 38:21 in the Canberra Times 10k and she's older than me! I think she inherited some talent from her son and daughter. Her son was able to do no running for months, then come to training for a couple of weeks and run under 2 minutes for 800 metres. Her daughter is one of the best young steeplechasers in the ACT.

Yes, I'm happy to have a reputation for tardiness. Much better than the daunting thought of going for a warm-up at half marathon race pace!