Sunday 25 October 2015

“Adelaide 2015” - 3 October. 800m silver medal

Posted by speedygeoff on Sunday, October 25, 2015 with
I opened my Australian Masters Games account on Saturday 3 October with a silver medal in the 800m.
I hadn't trained for the 800m but as it was the first event it was a chance to get familiar with the track and with the opposition, and a chance settle the nerves.
The day was stinking hot with a strong and choking northerly wind down the back straight, almost stopping one to a stand-still.
My throat was raspy after one lap but I managed to run 93+92 second laps.
Awfully slow but good enough for silver.
Not close to the winner, in fact would have had to break the ACT M65 record to have won it.
Alan Mayfield is a class act. He had also entered the 1500m the next day which I was to run, and also the steeplechase which I was not to run. Fortunately he was not entered in my other three events after that.

Waiting for the 800m start. They were running very late.



The track



Crossing the finish line



Alan and I



The medal



That's race one done.