Wednesday 10 April 2013

my own training

Posted by speedygeoff on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 with
My own training for the next ten weeks needs to be base training - progressive aerobic conditioning from my current fitness level. To that end there should be a couple of speed days, a couple of long days where I increases distance over the weeks, and a couple of easy days to recover from the long days. Any day of the seven could be speedy, any day could be long, and of course any day could be easy. So I have to pick which races or training sessions will be flat out, and which ones will be easy/recovery/tempo, and which ones will be incorporated into a longer day. I need to think about when my gym/ strength/ stretching days should be; the answer being, not on my long days, and I need to make sure I factor in enough rest to avoid possible injury or burn-out.

I could so easily try to run fast every day. But during these ten weeks the most important thing is to be covering the distance.

So tentatively, my personal pattern, subject to week by week variations due to weather, other commitments, and how I go generally, is planned to be

Mondays speed. Participate fully in the Parliament House sessions.
Tuesdays long. Participate out at Dickson track training and make it part of a much longer run, as at present.
Wednesdays formal gym stretch/strengthen/balance/core work and no training run, or a tempo run out at BBQ Stakes when I can, nothing fast.
Thursdays easy. Joining the Bilbys at UC should be a nice recovery session trotting along at the back! They tend to do long intervals, I think, which is ideal.
Fridays speed. Seeing if I can get my time for the Customs 5k down under 20 minutes. Adding in some flexibilty and coordination /core training afterwards.
Saturdays long. I will go out to the YCRC run when possible but usually treat it as an easy tempo run and have enough energy for a long run afterwards.
Sundays easy. A run on the grass at SFP is ideal. Afterwards, another session working on core and flexibilty.

Well that's the plan. Can I stick to it? Why not? Meeting people each day will help a lot. And I have got rid of the headaches I was having. So it is full steam ahead. I should be able to build up to 100km weeks fairly quickly. And that means my fitness levels will start to improve again.

Inspiration
No matter how good the other runners look, they are not going to intimidate me. [Benita was a Canberran]