Tuesday 12 April 2011

loud music + smile = 60km

Posted by speedygeoff on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 with
Some footnotes to yesterday's post: (a) I have added Warrick and Adam's names to the speedygeese list; (b) both Liz and Ruth managed third place in their age categories, and (c) I was first M60 by only 15 seconds, phew! I was on only 5 minute per km pace for the last km or two, with many runners passing me, the second placegetter would have been catching me quite rapidly.

The website has photos and videos of every finisher, well worth checking out. Just click on the "2011", enter a surname on the results page, and go to their personal page.

Undoubtedly there are many remarkable stories of courage and perseverence. The most amazing story I have heard is that of Kelley, who did a 10k warm-up, then completed the ultra. And her 4:34 gave her second place in the W50-59 division of the 50km ultra.

Kelley + loud music + smile. Amazing performance.