Saturday, 4 March 2006

It doesn't get any easier

Posted by speedygeoff On Saturday, March 04, 2006 | 4 comments
On CJ's 45th birthday, I have news for all Veteran athletes who are looking forward to changing age groups. It doesn't get any easier!

Why? Because as achievable as the times seem that older people are running, when you get there yourself, it's darned difficult to do anywhere near as well, let alone better.

Here's proof. On Thursday night at track, Merv Collins ran the 100m, 400m, and 800m races in new ACT records. The 800m was a record by 63 seconds. He ran 3:44 for the 800m, 91 for the 400m, and 19 for the 100m . Merv is a new M80. He was nowhere near last in each race.

Fifteen years ago I eyed the M50 and M55 records, thinking "I will break those". Ten to fifteen years later, the records are faster, and I am much slower.

My new plan is to wait until I am 85. But the problem is, Merv gets there first.

Thinks. "Merv was a 300m hurdler ten years ago." Hmmm.

What do you think of those times? You can say what you like; no-one of Merv's age would ever read this blog. Surely?

4 comments:

  1. wannabecoach04 March, 2006

    Each of Merv's times are indeed very impressive and inspiring as is his longevity as an athlete on the track and in road and cross country events.

    What impresses me most is his ability to contest 3 races over a 2 hour period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those M55 records look pretty good Geoff.

    Merv's 91 for 400 is fast. There'd be many runners half his age who couldn't run 3:47/km pace for that distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment from Keith Perroux - "I read your blog!" Keith is a regular reader at 79 years of age nearly 80. Goodness! Hi Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wannabecoach07 March, 2006

    Keith Perroux taught me a valuable lesson about veteran athletics in my innaugural race with the ACTVAC. I was 40. Keith was 63. I was full of confidence.

    Keith and I lined up for an 800 race, our only other rival a W35. The lady scampered to a 20 metre lead by the end of the first lap. I caught and passed her easily with 200 metres to go. I assumed I would coast to an easy victory. I had completely forgotten about "the old bugger".

    With 100 metres left Keith flew past me, and try as I might he increased his lead all the way to the finish.

    After that there were no "old buggers" but truly respectworthy athletes regardless of age and appearance.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Masters Games

Counter

Counter: