Tuesday 30 December 2008

Making it close

Posted by speedygeoff on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 with
song of the week: 42, by Coldplay, from Viva La Vida.

Those who are dead are not dead
They’re just living in my head
And since I fell for that spell
I am living there as well

Time is so short and I’m sure
There must be something more

Those who are dead are not dead
They’re just living in my head
And since I fell for that spell
I am living there as well

You thought you might be a ghost ...
You didn’t get to heaven but you made it close ...

Those who are dead are not dead
They’re just living in my head

 
42 was especially chosen to draw this year to a close, and to anticipate what more there may be next year.

At training last night we had the smallest turn-out since rain struck on 13 October and we were confined to the car-park. However conditions were perfect and we did a session we haven't done for a few of years: 6 x 600 on 5 minutes on the east side, the 600m being two loops starting up a steep climb, plus a third climb up the hill to finish each interval. Present were Bronwyn, Cathy, Christopher, Ewen, Geoff B, me, Miranda & Ruth. Ewen, Miranda and Ruth also joined me for an 8k jog before the session.

Resolution
I have finished going through all my roles, tasks and activities, reprioritising and pruning for the new year. speedygeese: One thing I neglected to do in 2008 was to arrange for speedygeese singlets. I will get onto it in 2009, with assistance and feedback from others of course. IT: I was "invited" to have a role in evaluating IT for our club in 2008. I really didn't get into it. In 2009 I simply won't have time, it is not going to happen. newsletter: I have a new role as newsletter editor for a non-running organisation. This might be fun, but a lot of extra work. I approach it with trepidation, as I have no experience editing newsletters. Running: After national events in Geelong and Adelaide I will evaluate whether it is worth persisting competing at the national level. I have already foreshadowed that I may toss it in and take up long distance trail running... We'll see. Another option is to focus more on middle distances, 800m & 1500m running, in local competition. The two ideas are not all that compatible! Other: Otherwise, things probably won't be all that different next year.