1. Winter Series – Kingston Physio West Basin 10 Miler (16.1km) – 7.30am. A lap of West Basin on the shared paths starting and finishing on Black Mountain Peninsula. One event only. Kingston Physiotherapy in association with The Walking Clinic Podiatry is providing a prize voucher to the value of $75 to the male and female winners of the 10 Miler, and there are also 4 lucky barrel draw prizes on offer for participants.
The vouchers can be redeemed on any of the Physiotherapy, Podiatry or Massage services available and are fully transferable to a family member or friend. Craig Wisdom, Principal Physiotherapist
Kingston Physiotherapy & Sports Injury Centre.
2. Jogalong Sunday 9am 7 May - The Jogalong starts and finishes in an area bounded by Weston Park Road and Prescott Lane in Weston Park at Yarralumla. Tea, coffee and fruit is provided for all finishes as well as a YMCA Early Learning Tent for child care. The Jogalong is a 6km Handicap event for Women and Girls only. Handicap meaning starters walk or run based on expected times for the 6km distance. A 3km non –handicapped event starts at 9am with group 1 Jogalong. A 1.6km Mini Jog for primary school age children starts shortly after 9am. Young boys up to 13 years of age, may run in the 3km event.
3. Volunteers needed for the YMCA Half Marathon- Weekend 27/28th May 2017
There has been a great response to the call for volunteers for the club’s biggest event of the year, thank you to all those people. More helpers are still needed.
- We particularly need several more helpers for the Saturday afternoon races - you would be helping with various things from 1pm for a couple of hours.If you’re running on the Sunday, please consider volunteering for this.
- Quite a few more marshals are needed for Sunday morning. Please consider whether you could help, or enlist a family member or friend. You just have to stand in the sunshine (or bring a chair) and direct and encourage runners. It’s fun!
- A couple more pacers would be great to have for the Sunday:
- Either 1 hour 45 mins or 1 hour 50 mins, and 2 hours 30 mins. This is ideal for experienced runners who are recovering or don’t want to race, but would like to get out there with free entry.
The volunteer co-ordinator is TTS runner Kat Knope, please respond directly email@example.com
4. YMCA Canberra Half Marathon – Saturday/Sunday 27/28th May.
The half marathon will be held on Sunday 28th May commencing at 8am from Lennox Gardens. Entries are now open and the link is https://www.registernow.com.
au/secure/Register.aspx?E= 23770 The YMCA Canberra Half Marathon Earlybird entries close this Sunday 7th May at 5pm. Save yourself money and sign up now. The name of all Earlybird entries will be printed on their chest bib.
On the Saturday we will have a 1.6k Mini Jog for young children and a 5k Fun Run. Entries for the 5k and Mini Jog are free for club members who will need to check in. One day rego will be taken on the day (Saturday afternoon 27th May). One day registrations are $10 and $5 for children. Please note all finishers in the Mini Jog will receive a medal.
As you are probably aware, we are having some issues with promotion for the Half Marathon, mainly due to not being able to update the website. However, we do have a Facebook event page at https://www.facebook.com/YMCA-
No Half Marathon entries are taken on Race Day Sunday 28th May. Race bibs will be available for pick up on Saturday 27th between 1pm and 3pm and before the half on Sunday morning.
5. Winter Series Information/Volunteers. The club commenced a Winter Series of events on the 29th April and the series finishes on 16th September. There are no events on some weekends so as not to clash with large local events such as ‘Mother’s Day Classic’ Winter Series events are normally held on Saturday afternoons starting with a 2k event at 1245pm followed by a longer event/events at 1pm. The locations of the events change weekly and will be published in this newsletter. Along with the location changes so do the surfaces that we run on from on road (normally bike paths) to off road mainly bush tracks. Long events such as this weekend’s Kingston Physio 10 Miler start at different times. The clubs ‘Calendar of Events’ which is available from ‘The Runners Shop Canberra’ and Kingston Sports Physio. Details on club events are available on the club webpage and YMCA ActiveY @ http://canberra.ymca.org.au/
what-we-do/activey/ runnersclub/ and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Club events are conducted by volunteers, and volunteers are needed each weekend to setup and manage our events. No experience is necessary as we walk all new helpers through the tasks. If you can help please contact Dave Osmond our volunteers coordinator @email@example.com
Finally club events are for runners and joggers of all standards and the first event 2k each Saturday is a great way for friends to come along and start an exercise program of walking and jogging. Similarly the Jogalong on the first Sunday of each month is a great way for women and girls to get into jogging and running.