Friday 25 April 2008

There's a lot more to running than meets the eye

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, April 25, 2008 with


Post Marathon Ritual
After running a marathon - and I have now run 34 of the darn things - I like to get straight back into easy training as soon as the legs start working well again - usually by the fourth day.

Having been under attack this time for running 25k four days after the marathon, I would like to respond by saying (a) that’s exactly the right thing to do, and (b) it is really important that you don’t run fast after a marathon. Remember the rule-of-thumb: NO fast racing and NO sprint training for as many days after a race as miles in the race. And (c) as long as you are not injured, sore, badly blistered, or sick, it is very very important to keep up some long slow running every day after a marathon. This helps SPEED UP recovery; if you don’t do it, you will seize up and find it even harder to start up again once you resume.

Recovery is much quicker if you do slow short recovery runs from day one after a marathon. The first day for me was very short and slow, but I had recovered by day four and that has always been my experience. SO my 25k day four was no problem, and in fact is exactly the right thing to do, thank you very much. BUT no speed!