Friday 26 October 2007

Cow of a Day

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, October 26, 2007 with
This month's Vetrunner has a philosophical article. By Me. Excellent if I say so myself. (I do!). Looking Ahead. Moving On. Sadly though I cannot help but contrast it with another article on the opposite page to mine. Looking back. Always living in the past.

I shouldn't be so critical I suppose.

Best then to be mooving right along again.

Signal Fire: Here is yours truly, and a cow, looking really stupid.



LAST month's Vetrunner had the wrong map for this Sunday's run, so here is the right one.



After I run the short course this Sunday I will publish the Garmin's altitude map for this course. Should be interesting, these courses are still not easy despite being shorter versions of the main course. Watch out for hills! I didn't realise until I saw the map that the short course threw a right after the first km and continued down hill, rather than throwing a left and going up onto the ridge as the long one does. How I am going to hate the return journey uphill!

Top runs from Colin, Ken, Katie at the track last night. A few geese were there, but where was everyone else? A great night to be the track; the first real rain for ages, and the first night we get to use the new track. Although not the first users, there was rubbish everywhere; some people are animals. To tell the truth though, the CONSTANT rain did at times make it a cow of a day to be running. I ran the 3k, 800, and spiral 4 very very very slowly as planned; my leg soreness eased a bit in the first two but got worse again in the third. I haven't run an 800m for years and wanted to know what I could do if I "just ran easily" without pushing. Answer: 3.04. Something to beat next time. I want to try and run 90 sec laps for a complete 5k by February (new goal!). So the pace is "OK".

Yes the steady rain dampened the show and only about 86 people turned up to compete. There were seven newcomers and Roger and I made a point of talking to them when we could.

Stretch 10 - Thoracic-lumbar rotators



Sit in a chair with your back straight. Lock your hands behind your head. Rotate in one direction as far as you can go. When you're loosened up: rotate, hold, and flex your trunk forward, leading toward the ground with your elbow.