Monday 5 February 2007

The correlation between the price of petrol and the 400m

Posted by speedygeoff on Monday, February 05, 2007 with
quote of the week: "When success is equated with excess, the ambition for excess wrecks us" - Switchfoot, "My American Dream" from "Oh! Gravity"

My training progress
last week's target: 120k
achieved: 126k
year total to date: 544k in 5 weeks
this week’s target: 120k
weight: 63kg -ish

song of the week: My American Dream
When success is equated with excess
The ambition for excess wrecks us
As top of the mind becomes the bottom line
When success is equated with excess

If your time ain’t been nothing for money
I start to feel really bad for you, honey
Maybe honey, put your money where your mouth’s been running
If your time ain’t been nothing but money

I want out of this machine
It doesn’t feel like freedom

This ain’t my American dream
I want to live and die for bigger things
I’m tired of fighting for just me
This ain't my American dream

When success is equated with excess
When we’re fighting for the Beamer, the Lexus
As the heart and soul breath in the company goals
Where success is equated with excess

‘Cause baby’s always talkin’ ‘bout a ring
And talk has always been the cheapest thing
Is it true would you do what I want you to
If I show up with the right amount of bling?

Like a puppet on a monetary string
Maybe we’ve been caught singing
Red, white, blue, and green
But that ain’t my America,
That ain’t my American dream

A new and scary conspiracy theory: the possibility of a correlation between the price of petrol and the 400m. Did prices creep up to $1:24, even $1:30, as my 400m times deteriorated in parallel? If true, I missed a big window of opportunity when the price mysteriously dropped to $1:04 the other week. But normalcy resumes, it was back to $1:17 when I bought petrol yesterday. Must run a 400m before the price goes up again.

A new tip for improving your time over 400m: spend more than $30 at Woolworths and you will take 4 seconds off!

Now I can see you all checking your local Caltex Service Station on the way into the track, to see what your 400m goal is each week.







FOOTNOTES
1. It will be hot at Parliament House again today, with 37 degrees forecast, and sunny. I will devise a cool shady session close to water. I wish they would turn their sprinklers on! Please hydrate.

2. I will run early Tuesday, Thursday & Friday this week to avoid the heat. The "afternoon storms" foreshadowed for Tuesday on, will probably only mean humidity added to the searing heat.

3. I won't run Thursday night; sounds like the worse conditions one could race the "one hour run" in. But I will have a go Wednesday lunchtime at a BBQ Stakes win. Marathon training develops heat tolerance, marathon trained runners should excel this week! However, one 6k race will be enough.

marathon un-training for heat intolerance