Wednesday 11 October 2006

Pam reports on the Melbourne Marathon

Posted by speedygeoff on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 with
Official times, which have only just been posted, are:
Richard Faulks: 3:09.18
Peter Kenna: 3:37.43 (debut marathon – now planning to run Canberra 2007)
Gabrielle Brown: 4:10:47
Pam Faulks: 4:20.19
Annemarie Calnan: 4:53.35 (debut marathon – says its her one and only!)

Unfortunately Alan Green, who had also planned to run, was kept out with an injury. However, he was a great support in the lead up and on the day. On Saturday he drove us over the course, sharing his experiences from previous Melbourne Marathon runs, and on Sunday he was on his bike cheering us on at different sections. Not only did I have him by my side for the whole of the approx. 4km climb up St Kilda Road to the finish line, but throughout the run I benefited from the drive on the previous day – knowing when to expect the hills etc.

I had originally planned to run with the 4hr 30min pacing group, but once the race started felt strong enough to run it alone. My hastily devised plan B was that if the pacing group caught me, I would then try to hang on and still make it in on target. I had a bad patch just after half way, but other than that had a dream run. Unlike the Canberra Marathon, when you kept me company during my walk/run/walk sections, I didn’t need to walk at all (apart from through the drink stations). I took gels every 45 minutes, and drank at every drink station but the last one, and this seemed to work well. I am sure the gels helped me mentally if nothing else – each time I tore another one off (they were pinned to my tights), I knew that I had completed another segment of the run and was that much closer to the finish line.

Melbourne was true to its reputation and turned on 4 seasons in one day, but mostly, to our advantage. They held us at the start line for about 15mins after the scheduled start time, during which time the sun vanished, the clouds came over, the wind came up, and the rain fell down. But after that we benefited from a tail wind for a lot of the time, with a head wind for only short bursts.

The crowd was great, with lots of encouragement and cheers. Some people were handing out snakes and jelly beans, while a Cool Running group, someone near St Kilda, gave me a lemonade ice block that, as it was heating up by then, was perfect!

See you on the track!
Cheers
Pam