Monday 21 July 2008

Paperback Writer

Posted by speedygeoff on Monday, July 21, 2008 with
My training progress
last week’s target: 80k
achieved: 81k
year 2008 total to date: 2397k in 28 weeks
this week's target: 100k
weight: 63.5kg ▼

Last week I caught up and passed last year’s km total-to-date of 2381km. This is despite my weekly distances dropping recently, but things were much worse this time last year. My running total after 28 weeks was 2381k; this year it's 2397k.

My plans this week include the BBQ Stakes tempo run on Wednesday and the 25k at the Bush Capital runs on Saturday. I will probably go out to the Mt Taylor Handicap on Sunday, if only to monitor how the change to "Masters" is going, although I notice that certain people are slow to adapt. On Saturday there was a board advertising the "Vets Half Marathon".

Speedy geese running ACT Cross Country events on Saturday:
12k “Pennington”
32. Ewen Thompson M50 61:02

8k “Longstaff”
7. Kathy Southgate W50 33:38
12. Geoff Moore M60 35:35
33. Geoff Barker M60 43:16
37. Caroline Campbell W65 46:14



Jen_runs reports she "can't get no..." and rather than saying she was disappointed with her running, says she "wasn't satisfied" with it. I have noticed several other running bloggers using the odd song title ... there should be more of it.

I haven't seen another string of titles though. Is there anyone out there thinking about starting blogging who would give it a go? I recommend blogging for the cathartic effect alone. It is great for emotional release. Just like running is except, to return to the subject of Jen's post, when one cannot run for whatever reason. I am sure there are enough, for example, Elvis Presley songs to keep a fan going for a few months, if said fan were to become a blogger.

Like runners, writers are never satisfied either. We are always trying to be creative and write better. A secret of being a good runner is to never be satisfied! One thing I note about most runners is, when they have an ultimate goal, and reach it, they immediately discover another, more-ultimate, goal! Hidden away in the recesses of their mind, in reserve, ready to spring forth if needed should the immediate goal be met.

I suppose that's good news and bad news. Good news in that in future you won't lose the interest and motivation to keep on running despite having attained your current goals. Bad news perhaps in that the thing you see as the pinnacle of achievement today will diminish once it's achieved. There are always bigger obstacles ahead to be overcome once you have been victorious over smaller ones.

I will keep writing until I get better. Then I will keep writing.

Definitions: (borrowed/adapted from http://www.crankyfitness.com/2008/07/cranky-fitness-rewrites-dictionary.html)

Aerobic: flying pen (see illustration)



Jog: A reminder. Something I need to do to my memory when it comes time to blog.

Split: What happens to a banana immediately before it is put in a bowl with ice cream and a cherry on top.

Marathon: When a TV channel runs several episodes of a television program back to back. Usually occurs over a major holiday when you were hoping to watch something else.

Personal record: An album, such as Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits, that you hide away so people don't laugh at you.

Knee: A joint that divides the leg into upper and lower sections. Specifically designed to keep athletes humble.

Runner's High: the result of LSD (see below)