Tuesday 28 June 2005

My impossible goal

Posted by speedygeoff on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 with
It is good to set running goals. Like most runners I know, I have long term goals, medium term goals, short term goals, pace goals, place goals, intermediate race goals, percentage of world record goals, handicap place goals, season goals, year goals, M55 goals. Every kind of goal imaginable.
I also have an "impossible" goal. It is this - to break three hours for the marathon after I turn sixty, the 4th of May 2008.
If you don't set yourself impossible goals, how will you ever achieve the impossible?
Anyway, it's theoretically possible for me to achieve it, in that "tables reveal" that a sub 2:30 at 30 is equivalent to a sub 3 hour at 60.
The intermediate goals which go with my impossible goal are -
2003 7k in 30 - ACHIEVED
2004 14k in 1:00 - ACHIEVED
2005 21k in 1:30 - ACHIEVED in 2004
2006 28k in 2:00
2007 35k in 2:30
So far so good!
The plan is to have a go in either Melbourne or Gold Coast, the two fastest courses. Canberra would have been another option, except it is on a few weeks before my birthday. (AGAIN!!)
If I do manage it, a bonus would be if I were the first ACT 60 year old to break the 3 hours. However, there are some very good runners here who are either 60 or closer to 60 than I am, and I cannot control what they do. It hasn't been achieved yet though. Bernie Millett is the closest, having missed out a couple of times by only a few seconds.