Tuesday 6 December 2005

SEILF EMIT

Posted by speedygeoff on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 with
Timing problems continued at the track last Thursday. Sad to say none of the 60 metre race times are valid; they will be discarded.

(I have never run a 60m race!)

No results of the spiral handicap have appeared yet, so I wonder what happened there?

For interest, my research last year showed that when you compare hand held times at our events with accurate electronic times, the hand held times give results pretty consistently 0.3 seconds too fast.

This is regardless of distance run.

So now, when I calculate either Daniels handicaps or Daniels scores, I add 0.3 to any hand held times. This is fair and works both ways. It means if you run any hand timed race, I don't over-handicap you, and it means in a hand timed handicap race, runners don't get more points than they should. (Daniels point score is worked out on time, not place).

Even then, the published results are not always accurate. But like cricket umpiring; when there are mistakes, sometimes you lose out, and sometimes you benefit. It averages out in the end.