Friday 28 October 2005

Racing Principle #6

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, October 28, 2005 with
"Set Intermediate Racing Goals"

For example, when I used to race marathons fast, I kept on hand a set of cards with my goals for the race written on each one, which I memorised before the race.

I found these cards yesterday. They now read like someone else, not me! so I can report what was on them.

card 1 -

"EASY running
in the first 15 kilometres
at 3:30 pace
or faster.
17:30 RELAX!
35:00 RELAX!
52:30 RELAX!
Effortless running. "

card 2 -

"CONCENTRATE
in the next 15 kilometres
keep the pace going.
20k 70:00
1/2m 74
25k 1:27:30
30k 1:45
RELAX!"

card 3 -

"WIND UP
FOR 35 kms

FLY IN THE
LAST 7 kms"

card 4 -

"CHARGE
THAT
FINISH
LINE

POUR IT ON
RELAXED POWER"

card 5

"I WILL BE
FLYING
AT THE END

FROM 35 kms
ADD 26 MINUTES.

FROM 40 kms
ADD 8 MINUTES.

RUN WITH ABANDON
AT THE END."

There was also a card for 30-35 kms which I didn't find; I think it read "now throw caution to the winds".

You can see there were specific time goals and specific thoughts I wanted in my head at each stage.

For all distances it is seriously useful to break down the event into specific sections with their own goals. Even a 100 m sprinter only focuses on the start, at the start! 1500 metre runners do better if they have a plan for each lap than if they do not; for 800 meters, a plan for each 200.

A very good training session is the 1km interval session - it helps focus runners on 1km at a time. I suggest that all races from 3k to 8k be considered "1km interval" sessions with no break, and each km planned and raced independently of the other kms.

And for cross country races, if you can train on the course of an important race, do your interval session there. We did km interval work on the Pinnacle course here in Canberra one season way back. It sure helped when it came to race day.

Racing Principle #6 - Set Intermediate Racing Goals.