Sunday 6 February 2005

Telling Tales about the Teacher

Posted by Ewen on Sunday, February 06, 2005 with
Geoff was my first and only running coach. For the first 10 years I was self-coached and managed to make every mistake possible. Things like deciding to run a marathon less than a year after first stepping out the door and jogging around the block. Was I crazy or what?!

My first run with Geoff’s group was on Sunday 9 September 1990 in Stromlo forest. I tagged along with the group and we ran the Corkwoods ‘17k’ run in 75:54. You can’t do that run anymore as they’ve bulldozed the track near the Aquarium. One of the runners that day was Elaine Cooper who was to eventually hold a world age-group record in the 2000m steeplechase. I said in my diary ‘the last 5k with Elaine and Geoff was quick’.

The day before I’d run the Powerhouse 10k in 38:05 but I was becoming frustrated as my race times were not improving. I ran a few more Sunday runs with Geoff’s group and then asked if he would coach me. This was in the days when Geoff provided one-on-one coaching. He asked about my goals which were to run faster times from 1500m to 10k.

Geoff worked out a plan for the next 3 months which included what do on every day of the week. My first track session was on the grass track (now the Raiders training ground) at Bruce TAFE. I was amazed at the long warm-up run – 5km around the Eucalypt Trail! Sadly, you can’t do that run anymore as it’s been bulldozed. After warming up, strides and stretches the group ran 3x1000m leaving at 10 minute intervals. Starting times were handicapped so we would all finish at the same time. I ran 3:17, 3:17 and 3:18 and then we all ran a 2km warm-down.

With Geoff’s help I ran 8 PB’s in 1991 ranging from 1500m through to the Half Marathon. One of these was a 36:33.8 for 10000m at a Vets track meet on 14 November. These days I’m not quite so serious about my own running and am happy to be self-coached. I very much enjoy social aspect of the group training that Geoff now provides – especially the Monday night sessions at North Lyneham and Parliament House. See you tomorrow!