Thursday 8 August 2019

Racing in the sand

Posted by speedygeoff on Thursday, August 08, 2019 with
An ex-speedygeese friend wanted to know how to train for (at short notice) and complete a 10k race - in sand!

TJ: I am going to run 10 km at the beach in Huahin this Sunday. My challenge is I cannot increase my speed when I run on the sand. What should I do this situation?

SG: Ok here's 3 tips.. don't land on your heels. Do keep the stride length shorter than usual. Do increase cadence, by which I mean, turn your legs over faster. Another tip would be to practice running on sand, but you might not have enough time for that.
👍1
TJ: Thank you so much, Geoff. They are so useful. How long should I practice on sand?

SG: A little each day wouldn't hurt. One more tip.. wear shoes unless you are very used to running with bare feet. If you start in bare feet now you will get blisters.
👍1

TJ: Indeed, if I am able to run with bare feet, would it help my balancing?

SG: Yes. Should do.

TJ: Okay, thank you so much Geoff 😊 I follow your suggestions

....



....

TJ: Big thanks to Geoff for your suggestion about my 10.5km running along the beach. I am very happy with my result because I could reduce 1min of my normal pace. I really appreciate your support 😇

SG: Excellent! Well done!