Friday 19 September 2014

Why I don't drink coffee any more

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, September 19, 2014 with
  • Restlessness. It does not calm me.
  • Sleeplessness. It keeps me awake. If I drink coffee after ~3:00pm I cannot sleep.
  • Breathing. Coffee stuffs up my nose. Not good if a runner trying to breathe!
  • Addiction. Caffeine is more addictive than Nicotine. I don't like being its slave.
  • Arrythmia. Coffee affects my heart by stirring up an underlying, dormant problem.
  • Insanity. Coffee addicts rave about their next good cup of coffee. Not my scene, sorry.
  • Ineffectiveness. Drinking coffee regularly reduces its endurance enhancing benefit.
  • Delayed fatigue. It works to delay fatigue by mobilising fats in the system first, saving the more efficient glycogen for later. You might want that for a marathon if it works, but you definitely don't want that for a 5k.
  • Ups and downs. Coffee upsets calmness by pushing me towards a rollercoaster experience, like manic/depressive on a small scale.
  • Distraction. I don't want to waste my attention on that itch for the next cup.
  • Withdrawal. If you think coffee is OK, stop for a while. Withdrawal is bad, bad, bad. So why would you think coffee is good for you?
  • Strong diuretic. Why take something that compromises your fluid intake? Runners need to hydrate not dehydrate.
  • The sobering up myth. Coffee does not help to make you sober after drinking alcohol.

I am glad I didn’t start drinking coffee until my late twenties. And now, I have stopped. Permanently. How about you?



Still not convinced???? Here is someone else's article. Still drinking coffee? Just stop it.