Friday, 19 September 2014

Why I don't drink coffee any more

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, September 19, 2014 with 3 comments
  • Restlessness. It does not calm me.
  • Sleeplessness. It keeps me awake. If I drink coffee after ~3:00pm I cannot sleep.
  • Breathing. Coffee stuffs up my nose. Not good if a runner trying to breathe!
  • Addiction. Caffeine is more addictive than Nicotine. I don't like being its slave.
  • Arrythmia. Coffee affects my heart by stirring up an underlying, dormant problem.
  • Insanity. Coffee addicts rave about their next good cup of coffee. Not my scene, sorry.
  • Ineffectiveness. Drinking coffee regularly reduces its endurance enhancing benefit.
  • Delayed fatigue. It works to delay fatigue by mobilising fats in the system first, saving the more efficient glycogen for later. You might want that for a marathon if it works, but you definitely don't want that for a 5k.
  • Ups and downs. Coffee upsets calmness by pushing me towards a rollercoaster experience, like manic/depressive on a small scale.
  • Distraction. I don't want to waste my attention on that itch for the next cup.
  • Withdrawal. If you think coffee is OK, stop for a while. Withdrawal is bad, bad, bad. So why would you think coffee is good for you?
  • Strong diuretic. Why take something that compromises your fluid intake? Runners need to hydrate not dehydrate.
  • The sobering up myth. Coffee does not help to make you sober after drinking alcohol.

I am glad I didn’t start drinking coffee until my late twenties. And now, I have stopped. Permanently. How about you?



Still not convinced???? Here is someone else's article. Still drinking coffee? Just stop it.

3 comments:

  1. never had one and never will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only ever had one cup of coffee out of curiosity and didn't like the taste. Anyway, buying coffees regularly is an expensive habit to get into. I'm quite happy without caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember trying coffee once when I was about ten years old and didn't like it then. However once the habit is established it is difficult to stop even if people want to. And they don't want to: coffee is so addictive I fear that the addicts will just say "but I like it" and forever deny they have a problem.

    ReplyDelete