Saturday 22 February 2014

Gungahlin parkrun

Posted by speedygeoff on Saturday, February 22, 2014 with
It was my first visit to the Gungahlin parkrun. A pleasant day, a little humid on Canberra standards, a "flat" course, a nice running surface all the way. Margaret and I ran, along with Margaret's twin Gwen and Gwen's husband Ron, both of whom trained with us decades ago; and a few familiar faces such as Hugh Ford (I didn't see him finish but I could hear him after the start), Andrew Sutcliffe, and Beryl Lowry. An M65 finished 43 seconds ahead of me but he was a parkrun addict visiting from England. And a mother with a stroller flew past in the second km, the only woman finisher ahead of me in the end. I was in 6th place early on but finished 16th in a time of 21:43, splits of 4:12, 4:23, 4:27; 4:25, and 4:16. It may not have been very fast but it is my best since Geelong last October. Ron did brilliantly to smash the M70 record and finish in 22:51.


Soon after the start. The M65 winner is in red behind me. Hugh is breathing down his neck. Ron is at the back of this group.


Margaret after the start.


Gwen after the start.


The M65 winner finishing.


The mother with the stroller finishing. She was quick!


And here I come.


Margaret racing home.


Gwen not far behind her sister.