Wednesday 15 January 2014

training in the heat

Posted by speedygeoff on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 with
Recent speedygeese training sessions:
Saturday 11 January @ Acton Ferry Terminal. I jogged 4k then Andy and I ran 13.5 k mostly in the shade, but very hilly. And it was hot. The "speedyducks" will return from vacation eventually.

Sunday 12 January speedygeese @ Stromlo Forest Park. Dave ran 5x100m and 20x200m, I ran 15x200m. Joel started a session as we finished so I don't know how he went I reminded Joel that he qualifies now for Vets track, he seemed surprised by the idea.
I guess there are other things on his mind.

Monday 13 January speedygeese @ Parliament House. Ewen, Kym & I ran early. Not a bad pace considering we had three water stops. For the main session Alex, Andy, Heather, Jen, Kym, Mick C & Warrick ran a 34 minute interval set consisting of 200, 400, 600, 400, 200, 400, 600, 400, 200 with a jog back. Bronwyn did the same session earlier in the day before the heat struck. Actually, running in 30+ degrees in the shade wasn’t too bad.

If you are running today or tomorrow a very early start is recommended. It is hot overnight still; don't forget to top up with plenty of fluid. I will probably rest up and see what Friday brings. But the Canberra forecast is for awful weather each day with some temporary respite on Monday, thank goodness.

On that day,  Monday 20th, we will farewell Heather, at the Southern Cross Yacht Club 7:00pm or so after training. Anyone can come along, just turn up. We will be able to get something to eat, maybe a drink, and shade and with a bit of luck a cool breeze off the lake. Sounds great! Heather leaves Canberra Friday week to return to NZ.



I loved "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". Always choose the red car!