Monday 27 January 2014

Broken Bells

Posted by speedygeoff on Monday, January 27, 2014 with
Song of the week: Holding On For Life, by Broken Bells, from the new album “After the Disco”
Found at http://youtu.be/uhBewKu80Mg



I don't listen to the radio, except on Australia Day to the Triple J Hottest 100. I listen to my CDs and my MP3 player, relying on friends to recommend any good musicians based on what they know I like. I don't know if Broken Bells songs are played on Triple J but I would bet they are. This song won't have featured yesterday, as it's a 2014 release. Not knowing what gets played often and what doesn't, I put in a vote anyway of my ten favourite songs of 2013, and five of them were in the hottest 100. Last year of the artists I had never heard, I picked up on "Of Monsters And Men". This year I think I liked previously unheard a Birds of Tokyo song, and a group called Arctic Monkeys.

Here's my votes that got in
29 My Number, Foals
41 Southern Sun, Boy & Bear
54 Afterlife, Arcade Fire
55 Harlequin Dream, Boy & Bear
64 Graceless. The National

Five out of ten's not bad. I also voted for a few other Foals tracks, and a couple of Paper Kites tracks, and more Arcade Fire. I will see if any of them have made the second 100.

Edit:
139 Three Headed Woman, Boy & Bear
.... and guess what
142 Holding On For Life, Broken Bells. It WAS a 2013 release after all!
190 Demons, The National. I didn't actually vote for it, would have been in my first 20 though.
That's about it.