Saturday 6 August 2011

Neil Boden, Athletics ACT

Posted by speedygeoff on Saturday, August 06, 2011 with
Neil Boden made this week's Canberra Chronicle...

Photographed at the ACT Olympic Council lunch, a week ago.

Check out the new AACT website at http://www.athleticsact.org.au - it's much improved, there are many interesting articles, and all the latest news on Senior and Junior athletics in the ACT. Well worth bookmarking.

From the website, here is the profile of Neil's daughter Lauren.

Lauren Boden

Name: Lauren Boden      
Date of Birth: 3rd August 1988
Place of Birth: Canberra, Australia
Club: North Canberra Gungahlin/AIS
Coach: Matt Beckenham
Discipline(s): 400H, 400m
Personal Bests: 55.25, 53.51

What or who got you interested in Athletics?
I was always running around with my younger brother, Steven so my parents suggested we try Little Athletics. I started at Corroboree LA Club when I was 5yrs old and stayed there for 10yrs where my love for athletics developed.
 
Best and worst thing about Athletics?
I love racing; knowing that you’ve trained hard and just enjoying the adrenaline and atmosphere that comes with each race. Patience is a hard skill to master; as an athlete you want a PB every time you compete so learning to be patient and wait for that performance to come is sometimes difficult!
  
Take us through a typical training session?
Being a 400m Hurdler means I have a variety of training sessions. Majority of my sessions are jog/stretch for warm up, followed by technical drills. I usually do a high intensity running session which might be 300-250 etc or I might do a hurdles session which will either be a long rep (eg Start-8H) then short break and a finish rep (6H-F) or 3H-Fx2 is common in my training program. The sessions are also dependent on where I am in the season or if I am still in base/winter training.

Athletics career goals/aspirations?
My short-term goal is to represent Australia at the 2012 London Olympics in 400H. I would like to make the final there. Then win 2014 Commonwealth Games, finals at both 2013, 2015 World Championships and medal at 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics. I would like my 400H PB to be under 54.2sec at the end of my career
  
Who is/are your idol(s)/hero(es)?
My parents, Kerry and Neil are amazing because they are so supportive and loving. They have always encouraged me and allowed me to pursue my love of running. My coach, MattyB is an inspiration… he was an amazing 400m Hurdler himself and he is so passionate and dedicated about/to his athletes. Anyone who has overcome adversity is also inspiring to me.
  
Favourite food/drink/indulgence?
With the amount of chocolate I eat I think it has moved from being an indulgence to a regular food! Everything in moderation though. I love fresh fruit, especially mangos and pineapple

Hobbies/passions?
I enjoy relaxing with family and friends in my spare time, watching movies or going shopping. I work at a primary school in before/after school care which is really fun. I love working with the children so perhaps that is a future career, after athletics of course!

Favourite movies/books and why?
I enjoy romcoms (romantic comedies) – bit of a romantic at heart! I also like comedys and action movies. The Notebook is my favourite movie! I enjoy reading crime novels such as Kathy Reichs and Janet Evanovich
  
Favourite travel destination?
I’ve really only travelled with my athletics but Switzerland is definitely the most beautiful country I have been to. The postcards don’t do the Swiss Alps enough justice!