Friday 26 March 2010

to tweet or not to tweet, that is the question

Posted by speedygeoff on Friday, March 26, 2010 with
Do you have something to say?
There are probably good reasons to connect to twitter, and good reasons not to. Let's think.

1. I have something to say. Not just what was in my vegetable soup at lunchtime, or who I just saw cycling past. But there are bound to be times when there is interesting stuff I am doing, and times when I want to mobilise people in a hurry, and twitter is ideal for all this. Although, what interests me may not interest others. "Rush down to Woden, Evermore are playing next at the Southern Cross Club!" Only one in a hundred would be vaguely interested, I suspect. however much I would be excited by the news.

2. I like staying connected with people and twitter is a direct and easy way to stay in touch. Of course, this assumes I want to stay in touch with "everyone". It 'aint necessarily so.

3. I wouldn't go crazy like many twitter users and overload my friends with trivial tweets. On the other hand, I wouldn't want my time wasted reading other people's stuff I had no interest in, or getting involved in tweets being forwarded on. Like email so-called "jokes" and other spammy stuff some people send me now. Boring, boring, boring.

4. In theory I have time to tweet but in practise I never have enough time. At least I can be a bit more disciplined when I use blogger or facebook.

5. Is it good to know details of peoples' lives you would not otherwise know without twitter? Sometimes, sometimes not.

It all boils down to, twitter doesn't really appeal to me. Anything's possible, because Facebook didn't appeal to me initially, but now it very much does. I won't bother with twitter unless those in my closest circle of friends start tweeting. My guess is that won't happen for a while, and by then something else will be all the rage.

It's a different world we live in!