Wednesday 24 December 2008

Words on play

Posted by speedygeoff on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 with
This blog has seen quite a bit of wordplay: anagrams, palindromes, Beatles titles, mixed and un-mixed metaphor, plays on words. It has been a good year: I at least have enjoyed the journey of writing this stuff, even if a bare handful of readers are equally amused. Funnily the blog itself is all words on play: primarily focused on the way we use recreation to re-create ourselves from week to week and from day to day. And who amongst the speedygeese is playing along this week.

With today being one day short of Christmas, possible post titles wash through my mind, relevant to mangers and mistletoe, family and fun, shopping and toys, trees and stars. I have toyed with the idea of writing a satirical Christmas letter; perhaps I should first write a real one, we have been talking about writing such a letter for several Christmases but time gets away from us.

As well as running-recreation-play I do like to mention the music I play. In that vein, here is today's ...

Song of the week - "Playing Along”, by Keane, from their “Perfect Symmetry” album. This is currently my favourite song. Yes, “Grapevine Fires” has finally been replaced as my favourite.

Not the album version at all, but a very different live un-plugged version of “Playing Along” is on youtube:



Playing along

At the start of the news day, the fires begin
In words and in pictures, but I'm not listening
I'm not taking it in
I'm going to go to the country, where nothing goes on
Going to bury my head, where I can't hear the sound of bombs
Playing along

Me, I'm just playing along
You and I, so many good people all Just playing along

I'm going to go to a bar, where is the jukebox is on
Going to shut out the noise, with a rock'n'roll song
Playing along

I'm going to turn up the volume
I'm going to turn up the volume
I'm going to turn up the volume
Till I can't even think

Tell us a tale of the proud and the free
Sing us a swingtime american melody
From 'follow the fleet'

Me, I'm just playing along
You and I, a billion people all
Just playing along

I'm going to turn up the volume
I'm going to turn up the volume
I'm going to turn up the volume
Till I can't even think
I'm going to turn up the volume
I'm going to turn up the volume
I'm going to turn up the volume
Till I can't even think

I'm going to turn up the volume
Till I can't even think....


No more writing today, I will go back to playing with the grandchildren.