Saturday 15 November 2008

post £1500

Posted by speedygeoff on Saturday, November 15, 2008 with
This is post #1500. Not £1500. Why did I get "£1500"? Because in desperation I have changed to a British keyboard definition. Why? It is worth it, to get rid of the ubiquitous and ridiculous US spell checking. “American English” - unquestionably an oxymoron - keeps returning however many ways I tell it not to. I think this is particularly a problem for Australians, which is why I am masquerading as British to see what happens.
So when I type "#" I get "£" and "#" isn't anywhere on the keyboard. When I type """ I get "@" and vice versa! So for example typing an email address involves hitting """ for the "@" sign.
And there are a couple of other minor differences which I can live with as well.

But sometimes I @forget@.

Word is so frustrating because I have not been able to force Australian spelling, it reverts back to US within seconds! Googling the problem, the experience is universal and is possibly unfixable, although some users have proffered long and complicated fixes which I am trying, but I think the fixes won’t work with Australian English anyway which is why I am trying British, where they should work. Possibly. Unfortunately one part of the fix is the use of a different keyboard definition.

I will let you know how the experiment goes. If it still fails, plan B is to scrap Microsoft altogether and go with OpenOffice.

Or I could change my mind and in future favor Americanization. Anyways, be seeing you on the trails and side-walks!

Last Thursday's 800m


waiting for the start
still waiting ...
They're off in the first race!

More 800m photos tomorrow....