Thursday 7 August 2008

I'm Only Sleeping

Posted by speedygeoff on Thursday, August 07, 2008 with
Competitors worth watching in the Olympics #4
Lopez Lomong
- you will see him very soon, he will be carrying the US flag.

Team USA has chosen its flag bearer for Friday's Olympic opening ceremonies, and it's an athlete who's only been an American for 13 months.

Lopez Lomong, a 1,500-meter runner who was born in Sudan but became an American citizen last year, will carry the stars and stripes into the Bird's Nest Stadium in Beijing. He was chosen after a vote of American team captains.

"It's more than a dream," Lomong said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I keep saying, I'm not sure if this is true or not true. I'm making the team and now I'm the first guy coming to the stadium and the whole world will be watching me carry the flag. There are no words to describe it."

Lomong was separated from his family in Sudan at age 6, lived in a refugee camp in Kenya, and came to America in 2001. His selection as the flag bearer is a powerful statement that, no matter how hard China may try to cover up the atrocities in Darfur, the people of Sudan must not be forgotten
.



In yesterday's BBQ Stakes I had yet another consistent run, 25:11. Helen ran 27:13 and won the handicap for the second time in 101 runs, and Roger who leaves for Beijing this morning to spectate (did I need to add that?), paced Helen and ran 27:16.

I'm Only Sleeping


Thanks Katie for alerting me to this video! It's my cat Riki, most mornings!


There will be some of this behaviour next week..


but most competitors know that just being there is success!