Saturday 12 August 2006

turn it up loud, captain

Posted by speedygeoff on Saturday, August 12, 2006 with
Despite all the running happening at this time of year, with the days getting longer my thoughts turn back to track athletics.

fly goose fly
Like a goose migrating to warmer climes in winter and cooler in summer, my instinct is to migrate to the track in summer and to the road in winter: an instinct developed over 45 years of training and racing to the same rhythm!

So more fast running is happening, more stretching in front of a warm fire, more imagining a fast start on a track and a flying finish through the tape.

Right through the tape without slowing! At training on Thursday we did "finishing practise" after our 20-20 sprinting work-out.

customs 5k
After my 19:53 last week, yesterday I ran the Customs 5k in 19:44, which compares very favourably with my pb there of 19:43 set last March when I was at the peak of my track season fitness. And there were no runners around me yesterday pulling me along. Turn it up, captain! There was a touch of vertigo (you too?) as I jogged over the pedestrian bridge towards civic with allrounder (see new banner photo above) after the run, speaking of whom, good luck to everyone in the C2S tomorrow! Go Marty! Go the A.C.T.! We are the best.

Today I will jog at the pool (the ACTCCC race); tomorrow a group of us including Speedy Goose and Griffin will run long at Black Mountain Peninsula (9:00am, everyone welcome).

And tomorrow afternoon I will see if the Crows without their captain Ricciuto can account for Fremantle, after which I can watch the tape of the C2S.

Thanks to Mark Edwards for this photo


p.s. for anyone who didn’t follow the attempt at humour in this post, “turn it up loud captain” is the first line from the fabulous song “Vertigo”, by U2. Now you know.

WHY DID THE CHICKEN CROSS THE ROAD?
Machiavelli: So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road, but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely chicken's dominion maintained.