Saturday 22 July 2006

Convergence

Posted by speedygeoff on Saturday, July 22, 2006 with
A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer were asked to review this mathematical problem. In a high school gym, all the girls in the class were lined up against one wall, and all the boys against the opposite wall. Then, every ten seconds, they walked toward each other until they were half the previous distance apart. The mathematician, physicist, and engineer were asked, " When will the girls and boys meet?" The mathematician said, " Never."The physicist said, " In an infinite amount of time." The engineer said, " Well... in about two minutes, they'll be close enough for all practical purposes."

It all came together today in the Cross Country Championships for those who ran, with everyone running good times on a better than usual day for the events. Bright sunshine made for a mild start and a light breeze kept us relatively cool. 12k is a long way to race on grass, so it was good to have firm footing for much of the run. 8k is still a long way for the women and the over-60 men on this course which takes a lot of concentration to keep the pace going.

I was pleased with the efforts of our elite women in the 8k, who pushed each other along to excellent performances and finished close together. Maria with a bit of a cold pushing through well in the second half, Katie who rarely races this far putting in surges early then hanging in well in the last 3k, and Helen sustaining a fast pace though exhausted and kicking home strongly. Annette stayed with them, and the others a little further back in the field did well too.

I was pleased with my effort in the 12k, although not terribly quick, it was a good sustained effort and I managed to pull away from many of my rivals in the second half. Roger ran well despite injury and was one of a few who did pull away from me while I was passing others. I have run many more ACT 12k Cross Country championships than anyone else, having missed very few since 1969. I will be relieved next year to run it for the last time, if I decide to do so, as after that I turn 60 and can run the 8k. Because, after a race that long off road, ....