Thursday 12 January 2006

My cricket questions.

Posted by speedygeoff on Thursday, January 12, 2006 with
I do enjoy watching cricket, specially when crashing after a training run. Training for long distances takes so much out of you and a cricket match, even a twenty20 game, gives you a nice long break to recover.

Like many others, I hate the televison commentary. But the ABC radio commentary is just great.

Some of the questions people SMS in to the radio commentators are quite amusing. For example, a real question was, which team has had the most men out in a losing score? I thought, surely I can dream up more questions like that?

I understand cricket well, in fact I love it because it is full of statistics and useless knowledge. So it is tempting to send an SMS to the commentary team with my questions. I wonder if mine would get a mention, they must receive far more than they discuss?

Anyway, here are my questions. You can SMS them in if you like, I probably won't have the nerve.

1. Has anyone ever declared the innings closed in a one day match?

2. Has anyone ever sent in a night watchman in a one day match?

3. Has anyone ever sent in two night watchmen at the start of an innings?

Meanwhile, roll on winter...

... while we swelter in Canberra's hottest summer, we can hardly imagine what it would be like in the Northern Hemisphere at this time of year.

Keep working on that form!